Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Social Networking - Creating the Future

The ease and requirement (which some resist) of social networking - Facebook, Twitter, Blogging - has increased the awareness of everything happening, everywhere, all the time. And it is no less for those of us with blind or visually impaired children. I have found it extremely beneficial to keep up with contacts and friends via these sometimes addictive sites. For instance, at the moment I am blogging on Blogger, while signed into Facebook and Twitter. Is it necessary? No, of course not. Have I not only kept up communication with people around the world, but met new wonderful people I would have no chance in meeting any other way? YES!

It may be exhausting to some to keep all their 'status' lines current, but to me it is just another way to say "Hello! I'm here and full of life!" I may have the same Facebook status for days but that doesn't mean I haven't logged on and checked out my new notifications. My family loves the fact that they can log on and see pictures my daughter colored or how cute she looks in her new dress. I can inform my other friends of blind children about ideas I have that they may like to try and even post photos of how I made 'Candy Land' completely tactile.

The idea is that is completely up to me about when I update this blog, or take the time to upload those pictures that have been on my camera since last month. I enjoy this. It's not a chore. I do it for others to see, but I also do it for me. It is my way of communicating and sharing my story. I also get to read other's stories and this is priceless. I only hope others will someday think the same about what I've done with my life and will do in the future.

When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those who wonder what happened.” Who will you be?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments!