Sunday, July 31, 2011

Book Recommendations

Perhaps it is only a matter of time before e-readers, iPads and Nooks beat out the good ol' paper books, but I imagine books about raising and teaching a blind child, like most everything else to do with blind children, will be slow to catch up with the rest of the technology world. I've commented before on how hard it is for me to spend the money on a technical book like this due to the high cost vs. usability. So I ask again, is the content really worth the money?

The answer I've found is, "Yes, some books are worth the money and time spent on them." So for the parents and professionals out there reading this blog post, I've listed a few titles below which I've found helpful in my quest to become more knowledgeable and prepared in giving my daughter all she needs. I hope you'll take the time to read them as well. Which brings me to my next question... How many of you would borrow these books to read from an online library? Please leave comments below!


  • "Beginning with Braille: Firsthand Experiences with a Balanced Approach to Literacy" by Anna M. Swenson
  • "A Parents' Guide to Special Education for Children with Visual Impairments" by Susan LaVenture (whom I've met personally; Such a wonderful and inspiring person!)
  • "Early Focus" by Pogrund & Fazzi

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments!