Thursday, February 9, 2012

Valentine's Books for someone special!

One of the most valuable resources I've come across for Madilyn is the Read2Go app for iPad through www.Bookshare.org and Benetech. I often find myself staring at fun, cute little books from the edge of the kids' section of Barnes and Noble. Finally, I take step over the invisible line I've drawn in my head and enter the children's area. I look, pick it up, flip through a few pages... and set it back down. "Madilyn can't use this. Why do I even torture myself?" Torture may seem like a strong word, but it is very frustrating to see something so sweet, with a great story and cute pictures, and realize I can't walk out of here with this and Madilyn enjoy it as it is right now... in print... with printed pictures. It is disappointing every time. But then I realize... I can search and download it straight to the iPad using Read2Go! And my smile returns, my heart perks up and I go home to do just that! Now, I must say I love Read2Go and Madilyn seems to as well, however it sometimes is misprinted or tries to sound out words that end up sounding nothing as intended. Most books do not describe the pictures, but some do. Hopefully they will work out the kinks and add more description soon!

After my latest trip to the bookstore, I snapped a pic with my iPhone of all the Valentine books I wanted to download for Madilyn for February reading. We've now read a few of them, and wanted to share our favorites with you! Maybe your special someone will love them, too! Many of the books can also be found in braille online via www.Seedlings.org or the Braille Bookstore!


Top Valentine's Day Books

  • Clifford We Love You by Norman Bridwell
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say I Love You? by Jane Yolen
  • Fancy Nancy: Heart to Heart by Jane O'Connor
  • Happy Valentine's Day, Mouse! by Felicia Bond & Laura Joffe Numeroff

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments!