Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Tactile Defense & Sensory Integration

I've been researching different approaches to helping with my daughter's tactile defensiveness. She pulls her hand away from certain textures and resists almost all foods that have little lumps. She doesn't seem to mind if the foods are thick; they just can't have little bits or her tongue acts as a sieve, pushing the tiniest piece out onto her lip where it is then wiped away by her shirt sleeve.

Perhaps I should explain what prompted me to let sensory integration be my web search of the day. I found out that the OT has started the Wilbarger approach with M, yet has not included her caregivers in on it when she is not at school. We tried the Wilbarger method a few years ago with not many results and we all participated to keep her on the strict schedule, which is very important in the method. I was upset to find out that the OTs had not even expressed any interest to us directly about trying the new method. Also, I felt it threw up a red flag because after my research today, I confirmed what I believed to be correct, that we should continue the compressions, brushing, etc at home and it should only be done by trained persons. It makes me believe that either this OT does not know what she is doing, or is lazy in the fact that she did not include her schedule outside of the few hours Monday thru Friday when she is at school.

Are there any therapists, parents, etc. that have worked (trained, etc) for the official Wilbarger protocol/method and could give me some insight? I know it is used a lot with children with autism and aspergers, as well. We used the 'old' sensory brush (below on right) but I found that there is a new Therapressure brush that is recommended. Any comments on these different brushes?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comments!